We ask that you please follow the ER guidelines below upon arrival:
- Sign in at registration desk. We use a triage system to ensure our physicians see the sickest patients first. A triage nurse will assess each patient to determine the priority of treatment.
- Please refrain from eating or drinking. It will shorten the wait if you need lab work, X-rays or surgery that requires an empty stomach.
- The admitting registrar may ask for important personal information, such as your address and phone number, so please have that information available.
- If you feel you are getting sicker while waiting, notify the staff member at the registration desk, and he or she will contact a nurse.
- Once you are in the treatment area, ER staff may need additional information to assist the physician in further evaluating your illness or injury. You will also be asked to change into a hospital gown at this time. Then a physician will examine you and order appropriate tests to evaluate your condition.
- Please be patient. Consider the current demand on staff and the number of tests required for the physician to give you a proper diagnosis.
- Remain in your treatment area whenever possible to help maintain the privacy and confidentiality of all our patients. A call bell is available at your bedside if you need immediate assistance.
- The hospital cannot be responsible for your valuables, so please send all valuables home with a family member or trusted friend.
- Pain Management - Our goal is to assess your level of pain and to ensure you receive pain management appropriate for your condition. For this reason, Riverview has implemented a hospital-wide pain scale assessment of pain levels. We feel this scale helps us treat your pain in a consistent manner. While receiving care in our hospital, you will be asked to rate you pain on a 0-10 scale, 0 having no pain and 10 having the worst pain you have ever had. While we realize not all pain can be completely eliminated, our goal is to make your pain as tolerable for you as possible.
- Keeping You Informed - Riverview Regional Medical Center takes pride in having shorter average wait times. The following are approximate wait times for test results that you may experience during your visit with us:
- Blood Test: 60-90 minutes
- Urine Test: 30-60 minutes
- X-Rays: 45-90 minutes
- Ultrasound: 45-90 minutes
- Cat Scan: 45 minutes to 2 ½ hours
If you are discharged directly from the Emergency Room, you will receive written discharge directions. We will refer you to a private physician or one of our on-call physicians for follow-up care. Please let us know if you require the services of a social worker or at-home nursing care. We will refer you to the appropriate person.
If you should need financial assistance or have questions regarding your statement, call Customer Service at 1-855-270-1956. We will be happy to assist you with any concerns you may have.Patient SatisfactionYou may receive a phone call about your Emergency Department visit. Please take the time to talk to the supervisor about your visit. Your comments are appreciated and will be considered as we improve our services to you.