Getting Ready for the Hospital
At least three weeks before your due date, pack a bag and have it ready to go.
Be sure to include:
- Comfort and concentration items if using controlled childbirth techniques
- Personal hygiene items and health and beauty aides
- Underwear (one size larger than normal)
- Comfortable nightgowns (be sure they button up the front if you plan to breastfeed)
- Bathrobe and slippers
- Two or three nursing bras (if breastfeeding) or support bras to help suppress lactation if you do not plan to breastfeed
- Clothes that will fit comfortably to wear home
- Clothes for the baby (for example, a hat for cold weather)
- Covers for the baby (receiving blankets, heavy blankets, etc.
- Phone numbers of friends and relatives•Infant car seat for the ride home
We recommend that you leave all valuable items at home. If possible, make arrangements for someone to help you with the baby when you return home from the hospital.
If you are contemplating the need for pain relief during labor, contact your physician to discuss your concerns and make arrangements well in advance.
RRMC will help you prepare the birth certificate. To do this, Mom and Dad must both bring their Social Security cards. You will be responsible for requesting a legal copy from the State Vital Records Office. A Social Security card is applied for at the same time as the birth certificate.